Saturday, August 18, 2012

Welcome to the future of nutrition!

Do you struggle with being over weight? If you're like most Americans today the answer is probably yes. You are not alone & I was there myself for the majority of my life. I struggled with my weight from early childhood right into my early thirties & it began to affect my health. That is until I found the principles of the Paleo Diet!


What is Paleo?

Eating Paleo is a rather simple concept. It refers to eating as our ancestors did before the invention of modern agriculture. It involves eating real, high quality, nutrient dense foods that aid our bodies to become fat burning machines.
 


How can eating Paleo help me lose weight?

Adapting a Paleo eating plan is the healthiest way you can lose weight because it is the only plan that uses nutrition to work with your genetics. It's pretty simple people, this is the way we were supposed to eat! Modern research tells us that today's Standard American Diet, full of processed refined foods, unhealthy trans fats & an endless supply of sugar is responsible for a host of  diseases such as obesity,diabetes, heart disease & cancer. 

What can I eat?

Oh man this is where it gets exciting! If you're a foodie as I am than this is the plan you've been waiting for. The food choices on the Paleo plan are almost endless. Grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught seafood, veggies, seasonal fruit, healthy fats,(raw nuts & seeds, avocados, olive & coconut oil just to name a few).The best part of the Paleo diet is the fact it stresses to obtain the highest quality sources of the accepted foods which provides the most nutrient absorption for your body. See, this lifestyle is not just about losing weight. It's about obtaining optimal health in the process of achieving your ideal body composition. 


What about carbs?

The Paleo plan doesn't count anything including carb intake. When eating Paleo you will cut out virtually all wheat, grains & legumes being these foods raise insulin levels to an unhealthy level & quite honestly we haven't adapted to eat them. What about all those supposedly healthy whole grains the USDA recommends we eat each day? The fact is they aren't nutritionally beneficial at all. You will take in all the carbohydrates your body needs to operate efficiently through the wide variety of veggies & seasonal fruits. If you are a dedicated athlete than your carbohydrate intake will need to be a bit more than the average person. This can be achieved with starchy tubers such as sweet potatoes & fruit. Tailor your intake of carbs to your activity level & you will be golden!




Is Paleo a low fat diet?

Absolutely not. You hear it constantly, fat clogs your arteries. This is simply not scientifically proven & is based on bad scientific studies. In fact current research indicates that diets rich in Monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats dramatically reduces the chances for obesity, diabetes, heart disease & Alzheimer's. Here are some of the healthy fats you will eat while following the Paleo diet;

  1. Olive Oil
  2. Raw nuts & seeds
  3. Avocado
  4. Pastured grass fed butter
  5. coconut oil
  6. Ghee (clarified butter)
  7. Beef tallow
  8. Lard

Health benefits of a Paleo diet

Besides effortless weight loss & boundless energy, the health benefits of a Paleo diet are undeniable. With the removal of grains, legumes & dairy which are the root causes for degenerative diseases such as obesity, cancer, heart disease Alzheimer's & Parkinson's. 
Image courtesy of The Food Lovers' Primal Palate - http://www.primal-palate.com


After reading this post I hope you're feeling motivated & anxious to give the Paleo lifestyle a try. I know  since I've started Paleo my health & energy levels have dramatically improved & it is my passion to share my story with others to hopefully inspire change. 

I'm going to cover everything from recipes to scientific research in this blog & I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I love sharing it with you. In the mean time please feel free to check out some before & after pics of me & some very resourceful links that will help you in your Paleo journey! 







No comments:

Post a Comment